Good Morning. Dad has now had his hospital bed for two nights and it seems to be working fairly well. He also received his walker and wheelchair, but hasn't needed to use them yet.
It seems like Dad's pain is being managed a little more effectively--mostly with the subcutaneous pump that delivers dilauded, and an occasional oral dilauded. Every day (sometimes every hour) differs, but Dad has good times during the day and evening when he can and wants to visit. Overall, he seems in pretty good cheer, and he is still hopeful that he's going to fight his cancer and have a longer survival rate.
Dad is mostly lucid, but the medication and/or the cancer does seem to make thinking clearly more of a challenge for him, and he does have some periods of restlessness. We've had so many visitors--thanks to everyone who's brought food, run errands, and just been available--it's been a great help to Dad, Mom, and me.
Nights are definitely interupted as Dad tries to get comfortable and to make it to and from the bathroom--the level that Dad needs to be at to control his pain (and an additional sleeping med at night) leaves him unsteady especially when he is tired, so Mom is up several times during the night to help. I'm staying here, but she didn't call on me at all last night--I try to take over during the day so she can rest.
Last night, Dad hung out with my two boys and Steve Seaborg (he and my boys really enjoyed the visit).
Today will be busy--both Mom and Dad are still sleeping while I write this--around 11am the UU minister will come by for a visit, then the 3D's--Danny, Deborah, and Baby D will arrive for a two night stay (YAY--baby-fix!), and we have a visit with the hospice nurse Pat, and the hospice doctor.
I'm sure I'm forgetting various things, but that's all I can remember right now. I'll try to get an update out tomorrow. Dad still has his appt. for chemo on Friday, and we plan on taking him.
Feel free to drop by--just please understand that Dad or Mom may be resting--but all are welcome.
Thanks again to all the family friends--Goldie, Jan, Trish, my super-fantabulous husband, my ultra-wonderful Sophia, Ed, Steve, Bruce etc. etc. who have been so supportive.
Love, Marianne
All New Show Sunday 5/13
14 years ago
We all love you, Mar. A baby fix will DEFINITELY be a bonus. YAY baby Daniel. Hugs all around.
ReplyDeleteDi