Monday, December 1, 2008

Hospice Nurse Visit

Dad's hospice nurse came at 11:30 today. Dad seems to have his pain meds working pretty well now, and he's been able to sleep quite a bit. He does seem to be a little confused, but he's not upset by it, and even seems to be able to chuckle about it a little.

We'll be getting a hospital bed, walker and wheel chair delivered this afternoon. Jan, Trisha, Goldie, Ran, Marsha, Sandy, Nancy, Phyillis, Bruce, my hubby, my wonderful step-daughter Sophia--and many more have all checked in and offered to help in various ways. Stacy, Pat, Molly and Sarah all stopped by last night. We appreciate it all so much. Mom is sleeping now, she gets the brunt of the night time wakings and discomforts that Dad experiences, so I'm able to take over during the day and watch over all for a bit, and am hoping that she can rest up.

Wouldn't it be nice if time could just stand still for a bit? I'm so thankful to be able to be here with my folks. I was out watering Dad's plants a while ago and was thinking about how all us kids used to play in the tree that was in the back backyard (as we call it), remembering my pet pigeons, our chickens, the gardens, our cats, Katie and I having Christmas in the middle of the summer. This backyard is filled with life that my dad has created--It reminds me that I'm filled with life that my dad created also--nature, music, family and friends.

Waxing a little nostolo-melancholy-istic. ;-)

Mar

7 comments:

  1. Marianne, great job!

    I hope this makes it easier for you to keep us all in the loop. This is my first time to ever even see a blog...much less respond to one! Luckily Lis is here to show me the ropes...hope I don't get too crazy with this!

    Love, trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish--everyone loved the soup you brought. Dad ate a huge bowl. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping me in the loop, Marianne. From far off, I hear your love and feel the support that so many of you are providing your dad and mom. I know the feeling of wanting time to stand still. It is a time to savor - all of it! Give your folks my love. Tell your dad he is one of the kindest, most caring people I know. Sending my love and thoughts of comfort.

    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marianne..

    Thank you so much for this. It did my heart good to see the pics of your Dad holding his namesake. Please give Stephen a hug from us -he is a gem - not all husbands would be so understanding. Perhaps because he has a diamond for a wife! Your reflections were so sweet - thankfully, no one can take away our wonderful memories. I do a lot of "reflecting" this time of year.

    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete