Since the doctor came on Friday, Dad has been doing fairly well. Mom and I had a chance to read him all the emails everyone's been sending in. He really enjoys it - so keep em coming. I was so proud of myself because I got through all of them without crying - until Myrna's:
Dearest Dan,
I have lots of wonderful memories of you. They include your early morning trips to and from the airport when few others were able to lift their heads off the pillow to shuttle me.. You were always cheerful and thoughtful and we had some wonderful conversations. It was always a wonderful welcome or bon voyage for me.
I loved when you and Julie came to Arizona and we did the Botanical Gardens together along with my sister, a trip to Tijuana, dinners in San Diego with you and Julie, meeting up with you in Europe when you and Julie did 6 weeks with Warren and Goldie. I remember the picture you bought that you could barely get into the car on your return home. I wasn't there then, but the story had a way of getting around.
My strongest memory is your love and support of Warren during those last weeks of his life. It wasn't just that you were there and helping Goldie, but it was the way you loved and cared for Warren. You didn't always say much, but absolutely knew what to do and how to do it. That was a friendship I have rarely seen between male friends. How lucky the two of you were. How lucky I have been to know you.
Love and peace
Myrna
--That's my Pops.
All New Show Sunday 5/13
14 years ago
Dear friend Dan, One of my fondest memories of you was when all the ladybugs were off somewhere, Julian I think, and I had to fly in a day late. You made my visit possible because you picked me up from the airport, drove me all those miles away, and then, as I recall, we women didn't even let you stay too long. I also remember of course, those wonderful camping trips, where -- having come from the Bronx and having no equipment or the remotest idea how to camp at all -- you helped make our stay so much fun, even though I am generally adverse to bugs and places that don't include sidewalks and museums. But, most of all we all see how loving you are... we know that because of how happy Julie is always, what beautiful lives your children have made for themselves, and, like Myrna said, how tirelessly you cared for Warren (and the rest of us) as he lay ill. Your calm, loving spirit will comfort us and be cherished always. With much love, Judith
ReplyDeleteI wrote a long letter to Marianne, and she read it to Dan the other day, but I wanted to share one thing here that I imagine many of us women feel about Dan along with everything else. I suspect all of us, young and old, will hear Dan's voice in our heads now and then saying "hey doll" "hi doll" "bye doll". It's a Dan trademark for me. And I don't know about the rest of you, even though I've heard him say it a thousand times to hundreds of women, I've always felt his "doll" to me was just for me.
ReplyDelete